Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kids say the Darnedest Things: Vol I

I have been meaning to talk about K's word explosion over the past few months. I had grandiose plans of getting it all on video and sharing it with you live and in person. But I always forget, and she seems to clam up when I put the camera on.

Around 15 months her talking, which had always been decent (she was a babbler, and of course a screamer, from early on), just went nuts. She was a parrot - anything we tried to get her to say, she would at least attempt, if not nail. In the past few months she has been working on her 2-3 word sentences, ABCs, counting, nursery rhymes and even jokes. She also has great retention for locations of items around the house, and even her grandma's house.

She can now:
recite the full alphabet song (though several of the letters are not intelligble)
count from 1-10 and sometimes up to 15
correctly identify blue and green (about 75% of the time)
correctly identifiy most common animals and their sounds
correctly identify common household objects and favourite toys
knows all the main people (and animals) in her life by name
sings - twinkle twinkle, old mcdonald, zoom zoom - going to the moon, patty cake, itsy bitsy spider
correctly identify the letter "o" (not sure why) - all other letters are still hazy

her favourite phrase is "oh no!". Of course accompanied by dumping out an entire box of toys, or letting spaghetti fall to the floor.

the funniest is she likes to tell jokes or be sarcastic. She often will call us "silly mommy" or "silly daddy", or place an object on her head (like a car) and yell "car head!" while laughing maniacally. yesterday in the car she kept taking her toy train and placing it behind her head. then she would look at me (through the mirror) and hold her arms up in a "where's that" gesture. I would say "where's the train, keira?" and then she would "find" the train and triumphantly show it to me. Just like we used to do when we first learned peekaboo.

Of course, with all this, comes the "mine" stage. Like her toothbrush, shoes, a water glass. Basically anything her eye can see is "mine". Like the train station we pass every morning is "my train" and she gets upset if I don't stop and let her play with it. I truly hope this is a short phase because sharing is not currently in her vocabulary.

Sorry for all the words. Here are a few recent pictures to round things up:

her "oh no!" face
(I shared this already on my photo blog. apologies to repeat readers)

chilling with her Aunty Tara and Uncle Alan

giggling over a private joke with her shoe

Keira is 19 months old and I am already concerned for the cell phone bill costs considering how much she talks

8 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! how old is she again?!?! she is a genius! for some reason i was thinking she was around KK's age, but maybe she is a little older. at least i'm hoping because KK is nowhere near that level of intelligence. you have a little toddler genius on your hands. that's awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. K is a Dec08 baby, so a good 4 months. 4 months ago I was still counting her regular words on my hands :) This truly was an explosion all at once over the past 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "car head" story made me giggle out loud! I can't wait until my little man starts talking -- he's started throwing in some "M" sounds in his random shrieks, so I keep hoping a "mama" is about to come out, but I think we still have a ways to go. :)

    I answered your question over on my blog, but in case you're not constantly rechecking my blog comments... :) Our car seat is the Graco Pippin print, which came out just before J was born. We love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's getting so big! What a cutie. Her smile is contagious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is impressive! I can't believe the alphabet and songs, awesome! We're having fun with family names too, it's so cool to see Aidan identify people by name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Piper is 2 months older and is no where near all that, so count K as a genius. Piper does know ALL her colors (even gray & black & brown, so that is something) and shapes. But numbers, no. The only song she sings is "Where is Piper?" (tune of Thumbkin) and she'll switch it off to Daddy & Mama & then point as us enthusiastically while she mumbles this incoherent stuff. It's cute. And, yes, everything is "MINE!" Or "mines", as she adds an "s" to the end of everything. I too would like to know when she will grow out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the eyes.... so so beautiful. :) I loved the words when Schuyler was young too -- I have a scrapbook page on them all ---- I was so proud of his "Linguistic skills" : )

    N
    thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  8. i need to see some tape on this. ;)

    ReplyDelete